Thursday, March 21, 2013

Enchantment, not Land!

I was an eager participant in the first You Make The Card, which came up with Forgotten Ancient, who was affectionately known as Mr. Babycakes.

He's also a star in Animar and Experiment Kraj.

Crucible of Worlds is a real powerhouse in the wrong hands. It's never just used to reuse fetchlands, it always ends up holding hands with Wasteland or Strip Mine.

Vanish Into Memory is the funniest thing you can do to a Marit Lage token.

Those are the results of the previous You Make The Card contests, and they represent a range of effects for EDH players. The Standard and other formats crowd aren't as relevant to me, though I remember trying to make Mr. Babycakes good.

We as an Internet got to vote on what the card type should be for the new card, and I voted Land because I'm still riding the high from Thespian's Stage--the first card that I absolutely say should go into every deck.

The vote was so close, though, that Wizards is having a runoff between Land and Enchantment.

So now that I've read some arguments and counter-arguments about what to vote for, I'm changing my mind.

Vote Enchantment.

The reason why I have changed my mind is more negative than positive. I tend to be an optimist, but if I have to choose between two difficult-to-deal-with permanent types, there's a few more answers for enchantments than lands.

Plus, as a community-designed card, it's likely to be a really, really good and/or powerful land. I just finished going over the utility lands and it occurred to me that we really have too many as it is. Or it'll have to be watered down, because if it's too good, it'll be WAY too good and we can't have nice things, because we break them.

Whatever the enchantment does, I'm sure it'll be awesome.  And we will be able to deal with it in our decks.  (Even R/B decks have Spine of Ish Sah, Oblivion Stone, and Nevinyrral's Disk.)

And because it's easier to deal with, Wizards will be able to make it far more powerful.  Yay!

So vote your conscience.  Vote Enchantment.

No comments:

Post a Comment