Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Saying goodbye to decks

I hate taking apart decks.  I really do.  I expecially hate it when I've got things I traded for, searched for, moved heaven and earth to get...and now it's just going to a dealer or into the trade binder.

I'm taking apart six decks, and selling the singles.  I confess that I didn't expect to sell complete decks, because EDH decks are exceedingly personal.  I would have zero respect for a 'netdecked' list.  I've made peace with the idea that I'm going to sell via a buylist, and I recognize that this method is not the best for maximizing returns.

That being said, I'm moving a lot of cards at once, which sure beats the one-by-one approach on eBay and the like.

I'm selling the decks/cards because my car died, and I'm getting married soon, and the few hundred bucks would be very very helpful. The usual.

I probably have a higher level of attachment than I should, and I'm at peace with that.  All of the decks I build, I feel invested in.  There's something I want to do, and I spent time and effort (and rarely money) making that happen. 

The decks I let go were fun, they were well-built, but really, 15 decks was a lot of work to keep maintained and not worth it for the number of games I'm playing these days.   The nine I'm keeping might be a bit much too, but I'm more invested in these.  I know for a fact that the problem solver deck was among the more powerful of my decks, but being the reactive deck, it lacked a plan of its own.

So when you take one apart, for whatever reason, the tendency is to fill your trade binder with the pieces and use those to build your next deck.  Or sell them.

Either way, I hope that you get what you want for the cards.

4 comments:

  1. Always a sad day when an EDH deck dies...but you gotta' do what you gotta' do, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't there anything like magiccardmarket.eu for the US?
    Also I do like taking apart EDH decks if I take the cards to build new decks, which is always a fun experience and something new. But taking them apart to sell cards sucks. Although you are probably right not to keep all that money around in cards and decks which you do not even play as much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish there were a place like MCM but no, sad to say, to find foreign cards/foils you have to search far more specifically.

      If you really want to use MCM, one of the power sellers will act as your agent, for a significant stocking fee and you'll pay shipping twice.

      I confess that once, I bought cards directly from an MCM member, but that was a pal on a forum.

      Delete
  3. Awesome blog you have heere

    ReplyDelete